welcome

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Custom Vs. Deviation

I woke up unusually early today, left with nothing to do, I browsed my baby photo album and found a particular picture that brought back memories. It was during my early school days we were celebrating United Nations Day and I remember my parents having a big argument about what costume should I wear. My Mom insisted I wear a traditional Filipino costume, Mexican costume was my Dad's pick. So they settled it by having me wore a Mexican top and Filipino skirt and I waved two different flags representing my two countries.
There was a point in my life that I became confused on what culture to embrace and what language to speak. Whenever I did something worth praising my Dad would say; "oh that's because she's Mexican" my Mom would argue "no that's because she's Filipina". Hearing them go about it on and on made me realized that nothing of those really matters I mean I wanted them to praise me not because I'm this and that. Every choices I made until now was mainly influenced by my diverse culture. And now I refuse to be further influence, accept nor believe in the hand-me-down concept of life.